* One of the most successful Romanian folk artists, ALEXANDRU ANDRIES, will play at Scala Cinema on December 7. Recently, Andries, who is also an architect and painter, launched a new blues and bossa nova album called Petal. Tickets cost RON 50 or 60.
* If there is one thing that is sure to happen at Christmas – aside from people eating too much – it is that STEFAN BANICA JR. will do a gig at the Palace Hall. The rock’n’roll singer’s fans have enjoyed this winter treat for the previous eight years. This time, he will perform on December 10, 11, 12 and 13. Tickets can be bought, at prices of RON 50, 75, 100 and 120.
* Argentinean singer ANALIA SELIS will give a recital to mark the launch of her Christmas album, Songs for the Young and the Old. The concert will take place on December 13 at the Radio Hall in Bucharest. The singer first came to Romania in 2004 to represent her country in the music contest the Golden Stag in Brasov, where she came third, Since then, Selis has released three albums in Romania. Tickets cost between RON 30 and 50.
* Scottish band SIMPLE MINDS will play at the Polivalenta Hall in Bucharest on December 15 as part of a tour to promote their latest album Grafitti Soul. Simple Minds are well-known for hits such as Don’t You Forget About Me, Alive and Kicking and Belfast Child, which made them one of the top rock bands of the 80s and 90s. Since 1979, the group has sold more than 40 million albums worldwide. Tickets cost RON 130 and 190.
* Austrian chamber orchestra the JOHANN STRAUSS ENSEMBLE, with guest artists soprano Romana Beutel and baritone Michael Havlicek, will play classical pieces by Johann Strauss, his son Josef Strauss and Mozart at the Palace Hall on December 16. The prime soloist and conductor of this orchestra is Russell McGregor, of the orchestra of the Schonbrunn Palace in Vienna, who said the Christmas concerts he has held over the past five years in Romania were like “going back home.”
* One of the most enduring and respected Romanian rock bands, IRIS, will play a concert at the National Theater on December 14. Following a risky liver transplant undergone by frontman Cristi Minculescu, which kept the band’s fans on edge, Iris returns with renewed energy. Tickets cost RON 200, 150, 130 and 100.
* December 17 is the last chance to see DAMIAN & BROTHERS. The initiator of this project, Grammy winner Damian Draghici, has announced that this will be the last time when the group will perform in this formation. Draghici comes from a family with a long musical tradition and has been playing since he was three. During his career he has released 17 albums and collaborated with famous artists such as Joe Cocker, James Brown, Shaggy and Cyndi Lauper.
* The best-known Romanian singer of Christmas carols, STEFAN HRUSCA, will sing in Bucharest on December 19 at the Polivalenta Hall. Hrusca is one of the best loved folk artists in Romania, and his albums of Christmas carols are enjoyed every year by many Romanians. Tickets for the concert, at prices of RON 130, 110, 80 and 50.
* British rock band SMOKIE is returning to Romania for a concert at the Palace Hall on December 20. The show, entitled Christmas with Smokie at the Palace, will feature both the band’s best-known hits and some Christmas carols. Smokie rose to fame with the smash hit Living Next Door to Alice, which sold more than 10 million copies worldwide. The band also penned other famous songs such as It’s Your Life, Oh Carol, Mexican Girl and Don’t Play Your Rock ‘n’ Roll To Me. Tickets cost RON 400, 300, 250, 140 and 90.
* If you are in a mood for gospel, be informed that the HARLEM GOSPEL CHOIR will play at the Palace Hall on December 21. Arguably the most famous gospel choir in America, it was founded in 1986 by Allen Bailey, who got the idea for the choir while attending a celebration in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. The show in Bucharest will also include three songs by Michael Jackson. Tickets are on sale at RON 70, 100, 130, 160 and 200.
Tickets for the shows are on sale variously from the Nottara theater, National Theater, Palace Hall, Radio Hall, Muzica, Diverta, Germanos, Carturesti, Vodafone and Carrefour stores, subway stations Unirii 1 and 2 and online at bilete.ro, biletedelatati.ro, blt.ro, eventim.ro, myticket.ro, ticketpoint.ro, vandbilete.ro and vreaubilet.ro.