In order to prevent a data breach, ethical hackers look for loopholes in systems, network architecture, and software. In the contemporary digital age, the internet has helped users to connect with one another on a global scale, but it has also created a number of challenges related to cybercrime and theft. Even large organizations have had substantial financial setbacks and data leaks as a result of security flaws. Over time, there has been an increase in demand for certified ethical hackers due to the growth in online attacks. To protect their data from criminal cyber-attacks, several businesses already use the expertise of ethical hackers.
Being an ethical hacker requires the proper training, research, and education, therefore it’s not that simple. If you are thinking about making a career in this field you can join KnowledgeHut’s Courses on Ethical Hacking to get trained.
What is Ethical Hacking?
The technique of getting into network or computer systems to check for threats or flaws that a hostile attacker may find and exploit to steal sensitive information, inflict financial loss, or do other major damage is known as ethical hacking, also referred to as penetration testing. Ethical hackers probe the system or system’s network in search of flaws that they can patch or exploit before malicious hackers do. In order to increase security and protect systems from assaults by malicious users, ethical hackers are permitted to utilize the same techniques and tools as harmful hackers—but only with permission from the appropriate party. Ethical hackers are allowed to use the same methods and tools as bad hackers in order to improve security and safeguard networks and systems from attacks by malicious users—but only with authorization from the owners.
Why Should You Learn Ethical Hacking?
Over the past few years, the ethical hacking sector has attracted a lot of media attention, particularly in light of the updated GDPR rules. You may play a crucial part in protecting the systems and data from threats and cyberattacks by learning ethical hacking. By learning ethical hacking, you can:
- Contribute to the establishment of a cutting-edge network that is resistant to security breaches.
- By employing best-in-class security procedures, you can retain consumer confidence and safeguard their data and information.
- Contribute to government efforts to protect a country’s infrastructure from extremists.
- To better prepare for upcoming harmful hacker attacks, conduct a controlled evaluation of company networks and systems by simulating a real-time attack.
- There are a huge amount of jobs available for white hat hackers. People with these skill sets are employed by a number of large corporations to evaluate their security and make sure they are resilient to cyber threats.
- Having a high degree of job satisfaction is a result of being an ethical hacker. In addition to earning great compensation for your profession, you are also preventing data breaches, extortion, and other internet crimes against individuals.
Skills Required to Learn Ethical Hacking
You need the following mandatory abilities in order to become an ethical hacker:
- Linux Skills – It is an open-source, cost-free operating system called Linux is built on the Linux Kernel. Linux is a robust operating system that offers users a variety of tools and capabilities. Linux expertise is essential for ethical hackers since it enables access to a system’s internals and the detection of possible security flaws. The most efficient method to acquire Linux skills is to gain practical experience by working with a range of various distributions, however, there are many alternative ways to do so.
- Database Skills – The foundation for building and maintaining all databases is DBMS. In order to identify security flaws, hackers must be able to comprehend the structure and operation of databases. In order to change data and get access to confidential information, hackers also need to be able to use database administration tools.
- Computer Networking Skills – You need to have a solid grasp of networking fundamentals in order to ethically hack. The computer network is nothing more than the connectivity of various devices, commonly referred to as Hosts linked utilizing various channels to send/receive data or media. Things like IP addresses, DNS servers, and routing protocols fall under this. Before attempting to hack, it is important to have a solid grasp of networking because many ethical hacking tools and approaches entail working with network traffic.
- Programming Skills – Programming skills are another crucial trait to have in order to become an ethical hacker. The ability to comprehend how systems operate and how to identify their flaws is unattainable without programming skills. Python, Java, and PHP are the three most utilized programming languages by ethical hackers.
- Problem-solving and Critical Thinking – Ethical hacking is the act of locating flaws in computer networks and systems and then figuring out how to remedy them. You need to be a skilled critical thinker and problem solver in order to be a successful ethical hacker. You must be able to think of original ways to address possible security vulnerabilities after you have found them.
- Communication Skills – Once the test is over, a typical ethical hacking client engagement requires providing a report. So, having strong technical writing and communication abilities is a need. The report and communication the ethical hacking team provides to customers is the most crucial aspect of the engagement.
How to Learn Ethical Hacking Step by Step in 2023?
The techniques listed below may assist you in becoming a good hacker.
Step 1: Gain Experience With LINUX/UNIX – An open-source operating system called LINUX/UNIX gives computers enhanced security. If you wish to become an ethical hacker, you need to be conversant with Linux as it is one of the most frequently used operating systems for hacking. Red Hat Linux, Kali Linux, Ubuntu, BackTrack, and others are examples of popular Linux distributions. One of the most popular Linux operating systems is Kali Linux, which was built specifically for hacking.
Step 2: Learn How to Program – UNIX/LINUX is an operating system that is entirely written in C, hence understanding C programming is the foundational skill. To gain the upper hand, try learning many programming languages. The top programming languages for hackers include:
Step 3: Learn the Skill of Operating Anonymously – The most crucial stage in ethical hacking is to figure out how to remain anonymous online and disguise your profile so that no one can follow your trail of evidence or identify you. The three most promising approaches to protect your identity involve using Anonsurf, Proxychains, and MacChanger.
Step 4: Become Familiar with Networking Concepts – Being educated about networking principles and having a grasp of how networks are built is another crucial and significant step to being a hacker. An ethical hacker that is well-versed in networking technologies like Nmap, Wireshark, and others may persevere in the face of difficulties in the area.
Step 5: Explore Dark Web – The dark web refers to the portion of the internet that is invisible to search engines or that remains secret. Access to the dark web is possible with the Tor anonymizing browser. In order to do ethical hacking, people must be aware of the respectable aspects of the dark web.
Step 6: Learn Cryptography Skill Set – An essential skill for an ethical hacker is cryptography or secret writing. Hacking requires the use of encryption and decryption techniques. Passwords and other sensitive information are always encrypted on networks. A hacker has to develop their ability to recognize and decrypt encryption.
Step 7: Examine Vulnerabilities – Weaknesses or gaps in the system are known as vulnerabilities. There is also a chance that ethical hackers may try to find and use the system’s vulnerabilities.
Step 8: Explore and Practice Master Hacking – After learning certain ideas, take a seat and master them. Practice and experimentation are the keys to achieving success in the realm of hacking. Examine various attacks, techniques, and other things.
Step 9: Take Part in Hacking Challenges – Create a community or sign up for forums to participate in talks with other hackers from around the world to share information and collaborate. Take part in different Hacking Challenges online or off; one to increase your knowledge.
Step 10: Keep Learning – Even if you have covered all the points and think that you have now mastered the art of hacking, do not stop learning. Keep practicing every day as the world of the internet is evolving and you face new situations every day.
4 Best Ethical Hacking Online Courses to Join in 2023
Here are the top online programs for 2023 that teach ethical hacking from the beginning. In 2023, you may enroll in one of these courses or a few more to learn ethical hacking skills and launch your career.
The Complete Ethical Hacking Course [KnowledgeHut]
This in-depth 5-day course from KnowledgeHut will teach you ethical hacking from the beginning. The emphasis of this course is on the most recent security risks, cutting-edge attack vectors, and realistic real-time demonstrations of the most recent hacking techniques, methodology, tools, tactics, and security procedures. Through engaging workshops and hands-on labs, you will learn practical skills while exploring your newly acquired knowledge by scanning, hacking, and safeguarding your own computers.
Complete Ethical Hacking Bootcamp 2022: Zero to Mastery
To learn about ethical hacking and penetration testing from scratch, this is one of the most current courses available. You will learn how to integrate your programming and ethical hacking expertise so you can mix and match strategies and apply them to various contexts. Overall, it is fantastic training to set up your own hacking lab from scratch.
Penetration Testing – You get the chance to learn from prominent ethical hacker Leo Dregier by enrolling in this course on ethical hacking. You’ll discover some of the most basic attacking strategies and testing techniques. The approximately 19 courses that make up this certification range from introductory to advanced subjects. You will learn Information gathering, Penetration testing, and social engineering in this course.
Cybersecurity Fundamentals – This extensive edx course teaches you nearly everything you need to get a job in cybersecurity, from information collecting to exposing flaws and more, and prepares you for a profession in this sector. The main lessons you’ll learn in this course are the ones listed below:
- The security principles.
- Discovering vulnerabilities.
- Networking security.
Benefits of Certified Ethical Hacker Training
- You must comprehend how hackers think and behave in order to successfully protect you from cyber-attacks. Gaining knowledge of a hacker’s thoughts is an advantage of the CEH certification. Your understanding of a hacker’s thought process teaches you how to foresee and prevent their tactics.
- The outstanding association provided by CEH certification on the tools system hackers use to break into systems.
- With advancing technology, cybercriminals are also upgrading their skills. They mostly breach weaknesses in IT infrastructure to attack and exploit them. You will comprehend how hackers gain access to your network if you have the CEH certification.
- You will learn how to spot vulnerabilities in systems and networks and how to mitigate them by obtaining this certificate. You’ll be able to advance in your profession and assume greater responsibilities with CEH certification.
- The CEH certification increases your income along with a better CV and improved job security.
The CEH certification is a useful certificate that may aid in your pursuit of Cyber Security certifications as well as your career’s continued success. In the cybersecurity sector, the CEH certification is well-known and esteemed, and its significance will persist until 2023 and beyond. Enrolling in an approved KnowledgeHut’s courses on ethical hacking is the first step in earning your CEH certificate.
- How much time does it take to learn Ethical Hacking?
Ans. Although it’s not extremely difficult to learn, you can’t become an expert in ethical hacking overnight. To properly perfect your ethical hacking talents, it might take anything from 18 months to six years.
- How long does completing this free Ethical Hacking course take?
Ans. The CEH Course is a 5-day training course.
- Can I learn ethical hacking for free?
Ans. Online courses on ethical hacking are offered by several academies like KnowledgeHut. Enroll in the course to master the basics of ethical hacking and to obtain an in-depth understanding of numerous internet ideas.
- Can I learn ethical hacking in 6 months?
Ans. Depending on your skills and knowledge, being an ethical hacker might take a few months to a few years. Beginners should plan on spending at least a few months learning the fundamentals of hacking and cybersecurity.