A Romanian citizen nicknamed “Ibrahim” was detained on Thursday morning by anti-terror prosecutors, who claim he was doing propaganda for the terrorist group Daesh and was planning a terror attack at a military base in Romania.
The Directorate for Investigating Organized Crime and Terrorism (DIICOT) carried out searches in several locations in Arges County. The main suspect is a 39-year old man.
The DIICOT worked with the Romanian Intelligence Service (SRI) on this investigation. The SRI said in a statement that the man had been under surveillance since 2015 as he had shown signs of radicalization. Prosecutors said that the suspect shared online videos of ISIS such as beheadings and other types of propaganda materials.
“The citizen stated on many occasion his intention to go to Syria to join terror group Daesh and tried to convince other persons to do the same,” said SRI.
“The citizen adopted a radical form of Islam during his stay, for many years, on the territory of another EU member state, where he developed relations with the members of a jihadist group in that country,” added the intelligence service.
The SRI went on to say that the suspect had documented the location of a military objective in Romania “with the declared purpose of contributing to the organization of a terrorist attack at that base.”
The DIICOT added that the man was in touch with jihadists linked to the group that carried out the Paris attacks in November 2015.