As the 12th edition of Business Review Awards Gala, BR magazine’s flagship event that recognizes the outstanding achievements of the business community, will take place on February 27, we want to put the spotlight on the 10 categories and finalists that were selected by the independent jury for their exceptional activity in 2016.
For BR Awards 2017, the jury looked at over 100 nominees and selected 43 companies, entrepreneurs and executives that will compete for a trophy.
The Deal of the Year category acknowledges the most important business transactions of the previous year, regardless of the transaction type. It recognizes the deal that had the most impact and significance in 2016, in financial terms and in the development of the local economy, or of a particular industry. It looks at novel elements of the respective transaction, and how the deal stands out on the local or regional business scene.
The story of Regina Maria – the winner of the previous edition
Private healthcare chain Regina Maria won in this category after it was taken over by private equity fund Mid Europa Partners.
Last year, Regina Maria continued its expansion strategy and took over several medical centers in the country. In addition, the company acquired Ponderas Hospital in Bucharest and closed a EUR 15 million deal to lease a 7,000 sqm private hospital in Cluj-Napoca.
Regina Maria celebrated 20 years of operations on the local market and launched the first report regarding the health of employees in Romania. At present, the healthcare player has 35 of its own locations, four hospitals, three day care centers, two maternities, eight medical campuses, 11 imagistics centers, 15 test labs, a steam cells bank and over 180 partner polyclinics across the country.
The finalists were selected by an independent jury based on the following criteria:
Value of the transaction
Impact within the industry/ local business scene and economy as a whole
Novelty elements characteristic to the transaction
The finalists of this category are:
Noriel (for being acquired by Enterprise Investors)
Enterprise Investors (for selling Profi to Mid Europa Partners)
Vector Watch/Gecad Ventures (for selling to FitBit)
The jurors of BR Awards 2017
- Anca Rarau – Marketing Director, BCR
- Cosmin Alexandru – Transformation Partner, Wanted Transformation/Entrepreneurship Academy
- Istvan Kocsolade – Manager, Accenture Management Consulting
- Joshua Burke – Commercial Attaché & Deputy Senior Commercial Officer, US Embassy Bucharest
- Marius Ghenea – Investment Director, 3TS Capital
- Matteo Patrone – Director for Romania, EBRD
- Oana Bulexa – Managing Director, The Practice
- Oana Craioveanu – CoFounder, Impact Hub
- Silviu Stoica – Partner, Popovici Nitu Stoica si Asociatii
- Sotiris Chatzidakis – Executive Vice President, CEO Clubs