The National Bank of Romania’s Stability Report, published by the bank on Monday, shows that around 4.5 million Romanians (43 percent of depositors) have less than RON 100 in their bank accounts, while almost 80 percent of them have under RON 5,000.
“A series of inequalities persist in terms of bank deposits, which suggest that the population is less willing to use bank services than cash,” the report says.
Other findings of the report include:
- 5 percent of Romanian deposit account holders own 71 percent of the total deposit value
- Only 0.3 percent of depositors have over EUR 100,000 in their accounts, and they represent about 26 percent of the total deposit value
- 30 percent of deposits are in the Bucharest-Ilfov area, followed by the North-West development region (12.4 percent)
- People over 61 (30 percent of depositors) own about 40 percent of the total deposit value
- Active population (19-60 years old) represents about 67 percent of the resident account holders and own about 61 percent of the total deposit value.