UPDATE Sunday, November 8: Four other patients who were in critical state passed away today, bringing the death toll to 45.
According to Mediafax newswire, the number of patients who are currently in critical and grave condition is over 30. Over the week-end news that people who had not been admitted to the hospital are presenting symptoms of intoxication from the fire has spread. People who were there, even if not gravely hurt, are advised to get checked out for levels of toxins in their organisms.
Until Sunday afternoon, 22 patients have been transferred to Belgium, Holland, Austria, Israel, Germany and Switzerland, with other transfers being prepared to Great Britain, Hungary, Finland and Norway.
The Ministry of Health said that Sunday at noon, 95 injured in the Colectiv fire were still admitted to hospitals in Bucharest, including 36 in serious and critical condition, and 57 stable.
Saturday, November 7:
22:30: During the course of Saturday nine people who were in critical state after the fire at Colectiv club in Bucharest have died, bringing the death toll to 41. Three had been at the Burns Hospital, two at Floreasca, one at Universitar, one at Bagdasar, while two patients have died during transfer to a hospital in Holland.
This evening, starting at 18:00, protests have continued for a fifth day in the center of the capital city. Around 2,500 people have gathered in Universitatii Square, reminding once more that “Corruption kills”. Small incidents have taken place in an area where people from galleries seemed to have rallied, but for the most part the evening went on peacefully and orderly.
Former mayor of district 4, Cristian Popescu Piedone, has been placed under preventive arrest by the Anticorruption Directorate (DNA), along with two other City Hall employees.
17:00: With one more patient who was at the Burns hospital dying during the afternoon, the Colectiv fire number of deaths has reached 39.
To this moment, there is a number of 20 people who have been transported to hospitals abroad.
12:00: During Saturday morning six deaths have been announced within a few hours. The fourth person to die was hospitalized at Floreasca Hospital, while two of the patients that were being transported to Holland for treatment have died during transfer, bringing the death toll to 38.
Interim prime minister Sorin Cimpeanu confirmed the number and said during a press conference that today the two SMURD planes are each taking two patients to Austria, while discussions are still going on with Norway and Finland. The two countries might take two patients each, but confirmations are still awaited.
Belgium has announced it is taking over eight of the patients, with one transportation already done today, and another one scheduled for tomorrow morning.
“Tomorrow will come a team of French doctors to assess the status of transport to hospitals in France. Monday morning a team of doctors will arrive from Germany and we will see when we have the relevant data for the UK. These countries are involved so far,” said the interim prime minister.
11:30: A new death was announced about one hour after the first two from the Burns Hospital. The third man to die on Saturday morning was at the Universitar Hospital, where eight patient are still in critical condition. The Burns Hospital also hosts eight critical patients.
10:30: Saturday morning, one week after a fire broke out in a nightclub in Bucharest, two more deaths were announced by local press and friends on social networks. This brings the total number to 34, while dozens of victims are still in hospitals, in serious condition.
The two people, who were at the Burns Hospital, were critical, doctors said.
In the meantime, some of the more stable patients have started to be transported to hospitals across borders, more capable to deal with the gravity of the cases.
Three criminal cases have been open , including district 4 mayor Cristian Popescu Piedone and the club owners, while a team of investigators are looking into how the firemen issued the licenses for the club, according to local TV station Digi24.
Protests claiming that corruption has been the cause for this event have started on Tuesday and are expected to continue throughout the weekend.