Romanian president Traian Basescu said on Monday evening, while speaking live at Realitatea TV channel, that acting prime-minister Victor Ponta (in picture) was undercover officer for the Romanian Foreign Intelligence Service (SIE) during 1997-2001, while he was a prosecutor, which was “a constitutional breach of the Constitution,” “an incompatibility,” according to Mediafax newswire.
Ponta dismissed the accusations, calling the statements “lies,” and saying Basescu is “extremely troubled” and that “Romania should not rely on the troubled mind of an individual.”
“Victor Ponta must admit that between 1997- 2001, he was undercover officer for SIE. (…) This explains how his career skyrocketed from the Prosecutors’ Office of the district Court straight to the General Prosecutor’s Office. This is no bomb, this is the reality and I am ready to prove it,” said Basescu.
The president also said that he had asked Teodor Melescanu, former SIE manager, if there were former undercover officers of the institution within the government, who pointed out to him a government decision that extends protection to former undercover officers of the service. The government decision had been initiated by Melescanu and signed by the prime-minister.