Romanian Alecsandra Dragoi won the title of Youth Photographer of the Year (2013 Sony World Photography Awards), her image being chosen as the single best photograph taken by a photographer under the age of 20.
Thirty-two year-old Norwegian photographer Andrea Gjestvang won the L’Iris d’Or/Sony World Photography Awards Photographer of the Year. Beating over 122,000 entries from 170 countries, the photographer collected her award plus Sony digital imaging equipment and USD 25,000 prize money at a gala ceremony held in London.
Professional category winners and finalists
The winners plus the 2nd and 3rd placed photographers of the Professional competition were also revealed at the awards ceremony. All 15 Professional winners – from Australia to Peru – were flown to London to collect their award and received a Sony α99 camera.
The wining series of works showcase the very best in international contemporary photography, from stunning black and white portraits of the Matterhorn mountain to a witty set shot in the back of an Argentinian limousine to a wry look at the secret life of the people of North Korea. The winners are:
- Architecture – Fabrice Fouillet, France
- Arts and Culture – Myriam Meloni, Italy
- Campaign – Christian Åslund, Sweden
- Conceptual – Roman Pyatkovka, Ukraine
- Contemporary Issues – Valerio Bispuri, Italy
- Current Affairs – Ilya Pitalev, Russia
- Fashion – Klaus Thymann, Denmark
- Landscape – Nenad Saljic, Croatia
- Lifestyle – Alice Caputo, Italy
- Nature & Wildlife – Satoru Kondo, Japan
- People – Andrea Gjestvang, Norway
- Portraiture – Jens Juul, Denmark
- Sport – Adam Pretty, Australia
- Still Life – Vanessa Colareta, Peru
- Travel – Gali Tibbon, Israel
More details about the contest, here.