Klaus Iohannis is the most popular European politician on Facebook

Newsroom 18/11/2014 | 17:40

Klaus Iohannis, newly elected president of Romania, has become the first European politician to pass the 1 million fans mark on his Facebook fanpage. Iohannis proves to be more popular on the ubiquitous social media network than other powerful European political leaders such as:
Nicolas Sarkozy (992,613 likes)
Angela Merkel (898,910 likes)
David Cameron (410,386 likes)

According to fanpagelist.com, Klaus Iohannis is currently in the top 3 most popular non-american politicians in the world, and he also occupies spot 15 in the global ranking of the same sort.

Liberal Klaus Iohannis, former mayor of Sibiu, was elected president of Romania after the second round vote held on November 16. Iohannis was voted by 55 percent of the population of Romania, while his main opponent Victor Ponta received the other 45 percent of votes.

New president Klaus Iohannis thanks Romanians for electing him, says its time to get to work

Barrack Obama is currently the most popular president in the world on all social media network. The American president’s usage of social media to gain popularity has been the subject of much inquiry. In 2008, the Obama presidential campaign spent USD 643,000 out of USD 16 million Internet budget to promote his Facebook account.

The official Klaus Iohannis Facebook page was created on May 29 2014 and according to facebrands.ro, it was only after the elections that it started to gain momentum.

Date Fans  Variation
November 18 1.050.118 +61.487
November 17 988.631 +140.212
November 16 848.419 +185.451
November 15 606.179 +19.577
November 14 586.602 +20.884
November 13 565.718 +21.808
November 12 543.910 +22.983
November 11 520.927 +14.704

BR Magazine | Latest Issue

Download PDF: Business Review Magazine December (II) 2023 Issue

The December (II) 2023 issue of Business Review Magazine is now available in digital format, featuring the main cover story titled “A Visionary Leader Entrusted With Consolidating CPI's Portfolio
Newsroom | 21/12/2023 | 14:13
Advertisement Advertisement
Close ×

We use cookies for keeping our website reliable and secure, personalising content and ads, providing social media features and to analyse how our website is used.

Accept & continue