Minister of Transport Dan Sova said on Thursday in a press conference at Alba Iulia that on May 10 he will give the order to initiate works for the Sebes-Turda highway. Asked if the highway will be finished in time and if there’s a risk to lose European funds, the minister said there is no risk.
“On May 10 we will give the order to commence working on the Sebes-Turda highway. (…) There is no risk to lose European money. In the memorandum establishing absorption tactics, according to European laws, we are allowed to opt for the geographical and technological phasing of each project up until September 15. So if Sebes-Turda is not completed until December 2015, it is enough to inform the European commission on the segments we do manage to finalize, and then the rest can be done with funds provided for 2014-2020. It is a very simple procedure, the Commission will check in 2017, so we won’t lose any money”, Sova answered.
Asked if there are any other problems with auctions for the highway, Sova replied that contracts have been signed for lots 3 and 4 and lots 1 and 2 need to be reevaluated, a process that should be completed in 5 or 6 weeks.
Previously, Romania’s national roads authority CNADNR signed the contracts to build the third and fourth sections of the Sebes-Turda highway, which had been awarded in December 2013.
The contract for building the 12.4 km of the third section of Sebes-Turda highway, with a value of RON 420 million (EUR 93 million), was won by Italians Tirrena Scavi and Societa Italiana per Condotte D’Acqua.