Studying is the bedrock of higher education. It’s what college students do in their off hours, and most colleges and universities factor study time into calculating the time requirements for a college course. In general terms, students are expected to study three hours for every hour they spend in class. But with studying being so important, there is a huge problem that students struggle to overcome. With students being asked to write more essays than ever before, the burden of writing essays is eating into study time. So how can you balance successful studying with equally successful essay writing? In this article, we’ll take a look at twelve essay tips to help you write efficiently so you’ll have more time to study.
So where should you begin? In order to analyze what to do, we need to talk a bit about the impact of essays on students.
One of the biggest reasons students say that they don’t have time to study is that they are spending more time writing essays than ever before. That’s because the number of essays that students are being asked to write has been rising in recent decades. There are two primary reasons for the rise in essay volume. First, essays are considered universally accessible assignments, so when instructors design courses, they are incentivized to assign essays to avoid trouble during an accessibility review and so they don’t have to develop alternative assignments for accessibility when assigning a project with audio or visual components. The second reason for the rise of essays is tied to remote learning. Online courses rely more heavily on written work than in-person courses. With a majority of students now taking at least some of their college courses online, the upshot is that students are tasked with writing more essays than ever before. The overall time students have available for work, however, has not changed.
Writing More Efficiently
This creates an incentive for students to write faster in order to save time for studying. But how can you churn out essays more quickly without compromising quality? Here are some good essay writing tips you should follow to prepare the best papers for free:
- Read the assignment. It might go without saying, but it’s important to read the assignment before you start writing. Making sure you understand exactly what the assignment requires and getting your questions answered before you write will help to speed up the process.
- Review the rubric before you write. Many essays now come with a grading rubric to show you exactly how your instructor will grade your paper. Reviewing the rubric before you start writing will make your writing process go more smoothly because you will be able to see what areas to focus on so you can place your energy and emphasis on the most impactful parts of the paper.
- Form a research question. Writing a paper becomes more efficient when you have a strong research question to guide your research. Use the assignment to create a question that can help you become more effective as you seek answers in your college’s library.
- Use high-quality library research. You can develop a paper more effectively when you base it on high-quality research. Your high school, college or university library contains scholarly sources that provide deeper and more academic research than can often be found on the open web.
- Consider an academic essay writing company. If you are truly pressed for time to study, offloading your papers onto a professional essay writing service can be a great way to get the help you need. Professional writers can deliver a complete custom-written essay that shows you the right way to approach any topic, which you can then use as a guide to help you save time while you write your own paper.
- Outline your paper before you write. Writing an outline can save you time when writing your paper because it provides a roadmap that will make it easier to move through the writing process without having to start and stop. You have the organizational and content problems solved before you start writing!
- Eliminate distractions. One of the biggest time when writing a paper is distractions. Shut off notifications, close your browser, and kick your friends out of your room. When you write in a quiet place without distraction, you can write faster and more efficiently.
- Make writing into studying. Your essay topic is probably related to the course content, so use the opportunity to combine writing with reviewing your notes and your textbook so you can get twice the benefit out of the time spent.
- Combine essays with key course topics. Double up by selecting essay topics that will let you learn more about material you’ll need either for the course that assigned the essay or another course. By doubling up essay writing with research that you’ll need to know for other courses you are taking or for future courses, you’ll get a head start on studying.
- Write when you are fresh. Writing late at night takes longer because you’re tired physically and your brain is exhausted. Write early in the morning when you are alert and most efficient.
- Take breaks. Although it sounds counterintuitive, taking breaks can actually help you write faster and better by helping you to keep your mind fresh and focused.
- Reward yourself. You can motivate yourself to write faster by rewarding yourself for hitting essay milestones like an outline, hook sentences, first draft, or final copy.
All free essay writing guidelines you can ever find online can be useful for everyone who wants to succeed in crafting academic papers of any complexity. We tried our best to collect essential tips for writing an essay of any type: from argumentative, persuasive, personal and informative essays till complex research papers and graduate dissertations.