If you’re thinking of studying abroad but you don’t have too much money put aside, you can choose from the many free higher education programmes offered by universities in the EU. You can study a variety of subjects, from arts and media studies, business and economics, engineering or health science to humanities and social sciences, information technology, natural sciences and tourism programmes.
The countries that offer the most interesting bachelor’s and master’s programmes are Sweden, Denmark and Finland.
Denmark offers bachelor’s and master’s programmes in fashion/media design, business, engineering, health science, humanities and social sciences, information technology, natural sciences, tourism programmes at the Aarhus University with Campus Herning and Faculty of Business and Faculty of Arts, Aalborg University, VIA Design – Campus Herning.
In the Hering Campus, students live in single rooms situated in apartments and the rent is around EUR 300 (including the utilities and the Internet). After the acceptance in the program, students can contact the real estate agencies in the area that offers services for students.
Aarhus University – Campus Herning offers bachelor and master programmes in several fields, such as:
- Business, with programmes such as International Business, Global Management and Manufacturing, and master’s programmes such as Marketing and Business Innovation;
- Engineering – Bachelor’s in Electronic Design Engineering, Master in Engineering (Technology Based Business Development)
- Tourism: Master’s Degree in Tourism
Aarhus University – Faculty of Business
If you want to choose the Faculty of Business, you can live in dorm rooms and can eat at the university’s canteen.
The Business and Social Sciences School (BSS) is one of the biggest and best in Europe for these subjects. Starting January 1, 2007, when Romania entered EU, Romanian students do not pay tuition fees at BSS. Students can get internships, part-time jobs or support for finding a job after graduation.
Thus, you can choose from the bachelor’s and master’s programmes of the school, and options include: Economics and Business Administration, International Management, Bachelor’s in Marketing and Management Communication, Master’s in Corporate Communication, Master’s in Logistics and Supply chain management, Master’s in International Economic Consulting.
The Faculty of the Arts at Aarhus University is known as one of the best in Europe and it is split into in three departments: Society and Culture, Aesthetics and Communication, and Education. The Faculty of the Arts offers a master’s degree in Journalism, Media and Globalisation.
Aalborg University – Campus Aalborg differentiates through the „Aalborg Model” based on research and the teaching method based on an expanded project that combines theory with practice. Each semester, students have to prepare an expanded project on a subject of their choosing. Through the International Accomodation Office (IAO), the university supports international students in finding accommodation units. The accommodation ranges between EUR 200-335/month.
It offers bachelor’s and master’s programmes such as:
- Health sciences: Master’s in Nanobiotechnology, Master’s in Medical Biotechnology
- Humanities and social sciences – such as Master’s in Culture, Communication and Globalization, Bachelor’s in Language and International Studies.
If you fancy Finland, you can also find business programmes, for example at JAMK University. JAMK university doesn’t have its own accommodation units, but collaborates with an NGO (Student Housing Foundation Koas) that offers students 78 accommodation units in different parts of Jyväskylä. Students can live in the KOAS accommodation units during their studies and for up to two years after graduation. The costs range according to the age of the building and the furniture facilities, but the average monthly rent is EUR 9.81/sqm.
You can choose from the bachelor’s and master’s programmes at JAMK University:
- Business-related: Bachelor’s in Facility Management or International Business, Master’s in International Business Management or Entrepreneurship and Business Competence
- Technology: Master’s in Information Technology
HAMK University also provides a free master’s programme in Business Management and Entrepreneurship. HAMK is one of the biggest universities in Finland, with a strong emphasis on international. The accommodation can be made in single dorm rooms in shared facilities type. The prices reach close to EUR 200-250/month, including the maintenance costs.
You can find bachelor’s and master’s programmes in:
- Technology: Bachelor’s in Construction Engineering, Bachelor’s in Mechanical Engineering and Production Technology
- Business: Bachelor’s in International Business, Master’s in Business Management and Entrepreneurship
- Health sciences: Master’s in Social and Health Care Development and Management
Sweden is also a country that offers free higher education. You can choose Jonkoping University, which doesn’t have its own space for student accommodation, but has units available for rent, in collaboration with several real estate agencies in the city. This is why it’s recommended for students to apply via the university’s centralised programme. The rent ranges between EUR 180-300/month, according to location, size, facilities. The rent price usually includes also taxes for utilities.
This university offers bachelor’s and master’s programmes in different fields, such as:
- Business: Master’s degrees in International Logistics and Supply Chain Management, Economics, Trade and Policy, Strategic Entrepreneurship, International Financial Analysis, Managing in a Global Context, Urban, Regional and International Economics.
- Engineering: Master’s degrees in Software Product Engineering, Industrial Design, Production Development and Management
- Health Sciences: Master’s in Ocupational Therapy
You can also choose Malmo University in Sweden. Malmo University doesn’t have its own space for students’ accommodation, but they can apply on the site Boplats Syd, the Malmo municipality agency, where can be found most of the student apartments in the city. The chances of finding a good student apartment increase if the application is made early during the year.
The bachelor’s and master’s programmes available at this university, with free tuition are:
- Humanities and Social Sciences: Bachelor’s in European Studies, Bachelor’s in English Studies, Master’s in International Migration and Ethnic Relations, Master’s in Communication for Development
Therefore, the Nordic countries have a wide range of offers for students who want either a bachelor’s or a master’s degree. Don’t miss the chance to get the education you deserve!